Located at the gates of Bordeaux, Château Pape Clément is one of the oldest wine-growing properties in the region, with a first harvest that took place in 1252. Château Pape Clément owes its name to Pope Clément V, who managed the vineyard before giving it to the Archbishop of Bordeaux. The vineyard is therefore sometimes nicknamed "Pope Clement's Vines". In 1983, Bernard Magrez, a tireless builder and composer of rare wines, purchased the property. Bernard Magrez, who now owns 4 Grands Crus Classés in Bordeaux, invested all of his energy and passion, elevating Château Pape Clément to the highest level of Bordeaux Grands Crus. In 2009, Château Pape Clément was rewarded for its quality by a 100/100 score from American critic Robert Parker. Château Pape Clément enjoys a worldwide reputation, both for its red wines and for its white wines.
The vineyard devoted to white wine at Château Pape Clément represents 18 hectares of the estate. Located in the town of Pessac, the 22-year-old vines are planted in a sheet of gravelly clay soils.
Fully manual filling of the pneumatic press. Pressing in whole bunches with a very slow pressure build-up in an inert atmosphere for flavour protection. Gravity flow of the juices from the press into the barrels. Settling and vinification in French oak barrels and casks. 15% of the wine vinified in new generation egg-shaped cement vats.
Ageing on fine lees with regular stirring.